Thursday, January 16, 2014

Fall Vintage Finds

Unfortunately, due to selling our old house and getting moved in our new one we didn't make it to Todd Farm as much as we wanted this year.   However, we did cram in one visit in October after we moved in.

My favorite purchase was two owl andirons.   As soon as I saw them I was obsessed!  They are from the 1920's and made by the Rostand Manufacturing Company of Milford, CT.    Unlike many of their counterparts, ours are missing their glass eyes (which glow when the fire light hits them).   That was ok with us because I think they look almost more haunting eyeless.   We were able to snatch them up for $55 which seems like a pretty good deal since I have found many online for $250-1,000.   Even with the lack of eyes I think they are likely worth at least double what we paid.





We also found a beautiful handmade quilt.  After some research online, I believe it's a Cathedral Window pattern.  Best part was it was only $50.  It's amazing to think of the time it must have took to cut out and sew on each individual diamond shape.    Based on the fabric colors and patterns I think it would date from the 1960's but I'm not sure.    Since we have two rambunctious dogs who like to sleep on beds, we decided it would be best to display it on the wall in our 2nd guest room (future nursery one day) to keep it safe.    All we did was put up an extra long curtain rod and draped the quilt over it.   Now we just need new bedding for the bed. 




We also found a set of Pyrex Primary Color mixing bowls.   My mom has a set and I have always loved them (actually I pretty much love anything that is Pyrex).   The set was in great condition with no chips or major scratches.    The bowls are not numbered on the bottom which from what I have read may mean they are an earlier set from the 1940's.   We got them for $40 which I thought was bargain.



Lastly, we snatched up a $10 blue and white wool blanket and $25 cast iron Christmas tree stand (it came in handy with our two trees this year).   Counting down until it's flea market season again!

No comments:

Post a Comment